|Director of Recreation & Club Events
Position: Head Lifeguard and Aquatics Supervisor
Status: Part Time: April 1st – April 30th, 2023 and Full Time: May 1st – September 15th 2023
Supervisor: Recreation & Executive Coordinator
Pay: Hourly, hours are flexible and rotate through weekdays, weekends, evenings and statutory
The North Shore Winter Club is a celebrated family athletic club serving the Greater Vancouver Area. Home to a rich history of hockey, swimming, racquet sports and fitness, members at the North Shore Winter Club have enjoyed the benefits of a friendly social environment since 1958.
Ideally located at the bottom of Mountain Highway just on the north side of Vancouver’s Second Narrows Bridge, the North Shore Winter Club has become a prominent symbol of British Columbia’s proud tradition of inclusive athletics and family fitness. We offer a well-rounded approach to athletics and overall health & wellness with a complete range of social, recreational and competitive programs for men, women and children.
ABOUT THE JOB
If you are passionate about aquatics, a team leader and love to be outside and are looking for a fun place to work with great people, North Shore Winter Club wants you! We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and energetic team leader to hire, train and supervise our Aquatics lifeguards and swim instructors from April through September 2023.
- Free Daily Staff Meals
- Discounted Food
- Facility Access (Pool, Gym)
- Free On-site Parking
You are a team player committed to providing great member experiences. You lead your team through positive and reflective feedback. Your strengths include exceptional organizational skills, analytical thinking, strong communication skills and the ability to adapt to changing needs of the members and staff. You are familiar with the Lifesaving Society Swim for Life programs and able to provide safety supervision for all swimmers and first aid when required. Your responsibilities also include monitoring pool chemistry and ensuring that pool areas are kept clean.
- Report and work with the Recreation & Executive Coordinator to meet the objectives of the Aquatics department, provide administrative, supervisory, and consultative support as needed, and report monthly on inventory management, statistics, hiring, and staff payroll.
- Hire and supervise all Aquatic staff in terms of performance, qualifications, and desired professional development with the assistance of the Recreation & Executive Coordinator; provide feedback, recognition, and conduct regular performance evaluations.
- Scheduling of pool and programs as well as maintaining Aquatics budget.
- Work with staff and management to ensure the Aquatic Department delivers outstanding service to members at all times.
- Work with the Clubs swim teams (Marlins) swim coaches on an operating and maintenance schedule.
- Be scheduled to lifeguard and teach classes as needed within the Club’s Aquatic budget.
- Promote the Aquatic Department within the Club through events; communicate with members via the Program Guide, weekly e-newsletter and/or bulletin boards regarding the Department’s activities.
- Develop varied, up-to-date lesson programs and manage pool schedule that meet the needs of members and revise or enhance as necessary.
- Lifesaving Society Swim lessons, specialty classes in diving, synchronized swimming, lifeguarding, etc.
- Address member concerns immediately; seek input in an ongoing process, take appropriate action on all suggestions and concerns.
- Conduct staff in-services and professional development seminars to enhance staff experience and teamwork skills.
- Submitting schedules for payroll submissions.
- Organize debrief meetings with aquatic staff after difficult emergency first aid responses.
- Monitoring and administering pool chemicals.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- NLS, Lifesaving Society Instructor
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR C) and Standard First Aid.
- 2-3 years supervisory experience preferably in a club environment.
- Assets include Red Cross Instructor Trainer, Pool Operations Certification, and/or Fitness Leader Certification.
If you would like to apply for this position, please provide your resume and cover letter to: