Committee minutes are available upon request. Please contact Natalie Raw at firstname.lastname@example.org with the committee name and meeting date(s) for specific minutes. All minutes must be approved by the Committee and Board before release, so please allow for 1-2 months lead time.
Interested in Volunteering on a Committee?
There is a lot happening at the Club right now! What better time to volunteer a few hours a month for whatever sport, cause, or passion project you believe in. In the current NSWC Strategic Plan, one of our key principles and values is that “The North Shore Winter Club will be well-governed.” In that effort, we have identified the following Strategies:
- The Board and Committees will be demographically well-balanced, with members representing all profiles of the Club.
- The Club will follow the Strategic Plan and continually update it at annual Board retreats.
- The various Committee’s will be connected to the Board and the Strategic Plan, and be aware of the Club’s Mission and Vision and Goals.
- New Board Members will be provided with an effective ‘on-boarding’ process.
- The Board, Committees, and Staff will operate with exceptional professionalism, ethics, and transparency.
- The communication/decision making process will follow best practices, such as; GM to President to Executive Committee to Board to Members.
- The Club will have an effective ‘House Committee’ to address any discipline within the membership.
- The Board will annually review the Club’s Rules and Policies.
We are often seeking new volunteers to join the many dozens of volunteers currently sitting on our various committees. Committees include Finance, Facilities, Membership, House, Minor Hockey, Governance, Long Range Planning, Tennis/Pickleball, and Marlins.
Selection Process Of Sports Committee Members
The Board of Directors recently modified the process for the selection of members to all NSWC sports committees.
In simple terms the process is as follows:
- Sports committee members will no longer be chosen by election. The Board of Directors will select the new committee members with the support and advice of the Sports Director, the General Manager, the existing Chair and the Board Liaison to the sports committee.
- The committee will consist of a smaller number of members who will be involved in policy and procedure, and the governance of the annual events including scheduling, budgeting, and the assignment of subcommittees.
- The committee will assign volunteers from outside of the committee to form subcommittees which will be responsible for the organization of tournaments, meets, events and activities which run throughout the year/season.
- The core committee will consist of at least 6 members. There will be a committee chair (appointed by the board), a vice-chair, secretary, and treasurer, and two to four others. It is hoped to have a cross representation of the entire sports community on the committee. Committee members will be expected to attend meetings once a month for the designated months of the sport season (as per the Committee’s TOR).
- Those volunteering for subcommittees running tournaments or events will not be required to attend monthly meetings but will be asked to attend one or two core committee meetings when the events are approaching and being organized.
If you are interested in a position on one of the committees, please forward your applications to the Board liaison to the sports committee or to email@example.com. Your application should include: a brief letter outlining your interest, experience on committees either professional or volunteer, and any particular skill set. Please submit applications at least two weeks prior to the sport AGM.
If you would like to volunteer to assist with one of the tournaments, meets, or events please email the Committee Chair directly. Please indicate which tournament, meet or event you are interested in volunteering for.
Interested in Becoming a Board Member?
The North Shore Winter Club’s Nominating Committee is seeking nominations for the 2023 – 2026 Board of Directors. Members of the Board of Directors are elected by a majority vote of the membership at the November 09, 2023 Annual General Meeting. Directors serve as volunteers without compensation.
The primary responsibility of the Board is to foster the long-term success of the operations of the North Shore Winter Club (“NSWC” or the “Club”) consistent with the Board’s fiduciary responsibilities to the Members.
The Nominating Committee will be taking nominations for three (3) open positions for Directors to be elected at the Annual General Meeting. If you are willing and able to contribute your time, energy, and progressive ideas to support the NSWC or if you know someone who would be an asset to the Club in a leadership position, please fill out a nomination form and return it to the Executive Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or Member Services by 5:00 pm on Sunday October 22, 2023.
The term for Board members is three (3) years effective from the date of appointment.
Responsibilities and Obligations
As a member of the Board of Directors, an individual must be willing and capable to commit to the Club’s vision to be a thriving, well balanced, family-oriented private club with quality sports and social facilities to suit the needs of our members. A member of the Board of Directors has the following responsibilities:
- Exercise good judgment and act with integrity.
- Have the ability to put the interests of the Club first and make decisions that are in the greater interest of the majority of membership.
- Attend and participate in all in-person Board meetings. Board meetings are held monthly, typically ten times per year.
- Be prepared for Board and Committee meetings by reviewing reports and background materials in advance.
- Maintain confidentiality of all matters discussed in NSWC closed sessions.
- Establish an effective, independent and respected presence and a collegial relationship with other Board members.
- Have an open mind and put aside any self-interest.
- Focus inquiries on issues related to direction setting, strategy, policy, implementation and results rather than issues relating to the day to day management of the Club.
- Participate in the development, prioritization, and implementation of projects intended to further goals in the NSWC strategic plan.
- Participate on committees and become knowledgeable about the purpose and goals of the committee, the process of committee work, and the role of management and staff supporting the committee.
- Stay informed of and meet all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Maintain an understanding of the regulatory, legislative, athletic, social and political environments within which the Club operates.
- Be a positive influence on other members and set an example by abiding by all Club rules and policies.
- Be an effective ambassador and representative of the Club.
Members standing for election must be active full members (Single, Couple or Family Member) and in good standing.
Nominations should be in writing and contain the following information:
- A completed Application Form by the nominee and short Curriculum Vitae of the nominee (max 1/2 page): qualifications, experience, knowledge, skills etc.
- 5 completed Nomination Forms with one (1) nominator name and one (1) nominator signature.
If you are interested in joining a Committee, please contact us and the Committee Chair will follow up with you.
For further information, please email us at email@example.com