|Flexible and rotate through weekdays, weekends, evenings, and statutory holidays
|Salary + Benefits Package
Position: Director of Facility Operations
Status: Full Time
Department: Facility Operations
Supervisor: General Manager
Pay: Salary + Benefits Package
The North Shore Winter Club is a celebrated family athletic club serving the Greater Vancouver Area. Home to a rich history of hockey, swimming, racquet sports and fitness, members at the North Shore Winter Club have enjoyed the benefits of a friendly social environment since 1958.
Ideally located at the bottom of Mountain Highway just on the north side of Vancouver’s Second Narrows Bridge, the North Shore Winter Club has become a prominent symbol of British Columbia’s proud tradition of inclusive athletics and family fitness. We offer a well-rounded approach to athletics and overall health & wellness with a complete range of social, recreational and competitive programs for men, women and children.
The Director of Facility Operations is a management position reporting directly to the General Manager and is responsible for managing the Facilities Department. This entails overseeing all mechanical, electrical and operational areas of the Club and grounds, to keep the Club functioning at top efficiency during daily operations.
Responsibilities also include; planning operating and capital budgets, developing and implementing strategies for effective facility maintenance, assuring qualification and training of staff, setting departmental goals and strategies, and providing leadership, guidance and support to enable staff to meet the Clubs’ goals. Also provides cooperative assistance to all other departments within all areas of the club.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Responsible for daily operations of facility ensuring the highest standards of cleanliness, safety, health protection and other standards are constantly attained.
- Direct, oversee and maintain quality of ice surfaces and ice plant operations, pool operations, racquet courts, fitness, outdoor space and food & beverage areas.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of operation policies and procedures.
- Responsible for development, training, compliance and enforcement of standards, safety policies and emergency procedures.
- Participates in on-going facility and equipment inspections throughout the Club to assure that preventative maintenance, cleanliness, safety and other standards are consistently attained.
- Monitor all work done by outside contractors and communicates the status of each project to the General Manager.
- Inspect to ensure that all safety, sanitation, and other standards are consistently met.
- Ensure that all facilities and equipment are safe and clean.
- Ensure effective communication intra and inter-departmentally.
Finance & Administrative
- Responsible for the overall financial performance of the Facilities Department.
- Participate in Facility committee meetings and recommendations for capital expenditures in collaboration with GM.
- Responsible for developing and implementing monthly and yearly operating and capital budgets, short and long-term financial goals and business plans, financial reports and forecasting methods, cost controls and operating standards, and strategies to ensure the fiscal health and operating efficiency of the Facility Department.
- Approves all product invoices before forwarding to the Accounting Department.
- Audit and approve bi-weekly payroll for Facilities Department.
- Manage physical inventory and provides updated information to the Accounting Department.
- Help develop and maintain a preventative maintenance plan, and a plan for capital replacements and capital requirements.
- Design and implements standards (SOPs), policies and procedures for the Facilities Department.
- Plan, manage and approve staffing and scheduling procedures, the long-range staffing needs of the department and monitors actual labour hours and costs.
- Ensure that all legal requirements are consistently adhered to including WCB, the Health Act, Provincial Laws and Municipal By-Laws.
- Point of contact for all regulatory agencies.
- Attend OH&S meetings and ensures a highly efficient safety program with an emphasis on awareness, discipline, and compliance; implements an overall safety program that conforms to WCB standards.
- Coordinate and schedule work loads and work orders for all areas of the Club and its’ equipment.
- Coordinate the purchase of parts and items needed for the Club operation, completion of work orders and general departmental supplies and monitors purchasing and receiving procedures for products and supplies to ensure proper quantity, quality and price for all purchases.
- Maintain an ongoing energy management program for the property’s HVAC, mechanical, plumbing and lighting systems.
- Ensure that all building maintenance, repair and cleaning activities are identified, scheduled and completed.
- Research new products and equipment and analyse the cost benefits.
- Ensure that all standard operating procedures and controls are in place and consistently utilized.
Leadership & Staffing
- Responsible for the selection, recruitment, compensation, direction and discipline of the staff in the Facilities
- Qualify and train staff on all aspects of operations, department policies, goals and objectives.
- Uses established Club hiring procedures and ensure that all existing and new employees receive a first day orientation and attend an employee orientation.
- Establish lines of communication by managing, walking about, hosting regular staff meetings and attending weekly Management meetings.
- Provide and ensure all staff receives regular formal and informal feedback, an annual performance evaluation and coaching.
- Monitor staff development, career planning and growth opportunities.
- Recommend staff on a meritorious basis for the Employee Recognition fund on a regular basis.
- Responsible for weekly work schedule and annual vacation scheduling for department.
- Maintain contact with members and guests and help assure maximum member satisfaction.
- Encourage, train, coach and monitor staff to consistently meet and exceed the Clubs excellence service standards and goals.
- Ensure that all members and guests receive courteous, prompt and professional attention to all their needs and concerns.
- Ensure prompt resolution and follow-up to all service inquiries and concerns.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum 6 years experience in a managerial position in the private club, recreational facility or hotel industry, supervising and managing a multi-faceted operation, and managing a large group of individuals.
- Class 4 (PE) or higher.
- Computer Maintenance Management systems.
- Pool Operations certifications are assets; required within first year of employment.
- Financial management and planning skills.
- Proficient in Excel and other windows-based computer programs.
- Ability to prioritize efforts to achieve objectives.
- Exceptional interpersonal, organization, collaboration and communication skills.
- Exceptional leadership, problem solving and adaptive abilities.
- Ability to influence at all levels of the organization to gain commitment and support for key strategies.
Unique Physical or Mental Demands
The job requires that the person be creative and innovative in the areas of facility management. Candidate must be self-motivated, have strong communication and leadership skills and be experienced in conflict resolution. Experience in performance management, motivation, and delegation is a strong asset. The hours are full-time, but flexible and will require some early mornings, evenings and weekends. Will require the ability to perform regular physical duties. This position requires an individual who is flexible, and able to adapt to changes quickly.
If you would like to apply for this position, please provide your resume and cover letter to:
NSWC Human Resources